Tuesday, May 26, 2015

It is done!

Hoorah! At long last, it is done! Yay!

This ended up taking quite bit longer than I'd initially planned, but I'm glad to finally see this in a "complete" form at last. (There are still a few bits and pieces which could do with a bit of polish still, but at least everything that needs to be there is there for the first time ever :D

Sunday, May 24, 2015

I told you so - On the course of action that research should often take but isn't taking

When doing research, there are often quite a lot of times when you wonder whether you're heading in the right direction - that you're researching the right things, that a particular idea will/will not work, that that gut reaction you had initially but couldn't put a finger on at the time that the thing you'd spend the next 2-3 months slaving over (trying to fix some of the most hideously fickle UI event bugs you've ever encountered, and hope to never encounter again) was ultimately a pointless and ill-motivated dead-end was due to an issue that in hindsight is blindly obvious yet nobody in the field seems to be able to comprehend it. At. All. Gaaaahhhh!  

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Violin Improv - 20150516

Just some more crazy random violin playing this afternoon for a bit of fun before bunkering down again to try and get this bloody project that I've been busy with wrapped up :)

This is one of the longest continuous recordings I've put together to date...

Friday, May 15, 2015

Rrraaaarrrrwwwww!!!! 15/5/15 - 15:15

It's an interesting date again...

Every time I see one of these bad boys in action, I can't help but think that they look an awful lot like a hungry dinosaur - the carnivorous sort too!

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Violin Improv Melody - 20150428

Wow, the past two days have been amazingly productive! There's still lot's to do still - far too much that I'd like to work on, but don't have the time or number of hands + brains needed to tackle them all - but at least I'm making some decent headway into this writing project I'm working on, without any of the annoying writer's block that was frustrating me last week :D

Here are just a few quick improvised recordings I bashed together tonight, based on a little melodic fragment that came to mind in the shower. No doubt it's probably easy to tell what it is once you've listened to them :)

Usually I try not to play anymore in the evenings and/or when other people are around, but since I felt compelled to try these out tonight, these were all done with a "light touch" to avoid making too much of a racket. Hence why you may need to ramp up the volume a bit to hear these (and also why there's a lack of dynamic range in general).

Monday, April 27, 2015

Travis Wetland Park

After hearing about the Travis Wetland Heritage Park for years, I finally visited it for myself on Saturday. It was a really nice warm day, with a gentle breeze blowing, making this a really nice visit. If you're at all keen on seeing birdlife up close, this is definitely a place to check out! It's got pukekos roaming around all over the place, like, literally, just idling strolling along beside picnic tables, and so on. There are also swans, paradise ducks, big ducks, small ducks, some geese/waterfowl, and many more that didn't show their faces that day...

Oh, and for some reason, there were quite a lot of sheep around... a lot. I'll definitely be back again, but hopefully with a longer lens next time ;)

Autumn Colours in Hagley Park

This afternoon, I took a good long walk through Hagley Park to capture the trees in their full autumn splendor. This follows on from another long walk I had yesterday afternoon at Travis Wetland park (I'm planning on having a post up on that up shortly too). It's been really nice weather wise this long weekend (Anzac Day this year fell on Saturday, 100 years since the tragedy at Gallipoli, leading to a "Mondayised" holiday), with temperatures in the mid twenties, and mostly-sunny weather.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Autumn Colours

The autumn colours have arrived a bit later than usual this year, showing up this week as opposed to over easter (as usual). However, I did manage to snap some shots of the stunning wall of red leaves on the fine arts building this year at last - see below - which I is quite fitting given the occasion of the day (i.e. Anzac Day here in NZ).

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Piano Improv Recording - 20150228

While I'm posting these snippets, I might as well include some of the better ones from a few months ago too. These were me thumping a piano, trying to get some random background noise to use while working. The first one here (#2) is a bit better than the second (#1) IMO, though they each have their own charms.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Violin Improv Recordings - 20150422

Just messing around a bit this afternoon, on another rainy autumn day... (The silvereyes have been avoiding the tree today... well, until I closed the curtains, and a plump one promptly arrived and started performing acrobatics)

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Silvereyes - On the Small Strawberry Dogwood Tree

This month, the fruit on the Strawberry Dogwood trees we've got growing in our garden finally ripened, attracting the silvereyes back to our garden again after several months away. Notice I said trees (in the plural). In previous years, we only had the big one beside the driveway. This year, one of that tree's descendents finally started producing fruit too, after growing in an old recycling bin for the past 3-5 years! Seeing as this young tree is a lot more mobile, we moved it closer to the house/windows at the start of the month, and began to wait. Today, the waiting was over!