Animation Editor Header Cleanup
2) Datablock filters now hidden behind a "show more" button. They still apply, but are just not shown in the header by default anymore, since most people didn't seem to be using them that often
3) Shuffled order of filtering options so that group and F-Curve name filters are now closer to the start, since they are used more often.
Action Management from the Outliner
I bet many of you aren't aware that you can see the animation attached to some datablock (i.e. Object, Mesh, Materials, etc.) from the Outliner, in the traditional "Scene" modes. Well, take a look below:
And now it's just gotten sweeter, as you can now unlink actions from the Outliner in this way, making it easier to clear animation from objects without having to go through some clunky ways involving the NLA editor. You can also use this to make an action single user.
1) Simply find the "Animation" entries in the Outliner
2) RMB on the action entry underneath this. It should be the first child.
3) Select one of the options from the popup menu
Of course, this doesn't mean that I'm not looking into making it possible to deal with non object-level animation in the Action Editor. This is just another way that you can do this, which may be easier/nicer to do.
I was also thinking of extending this to allow changing the action, but I quickly found that doing so would end up being quite hacky still. Will have a second look tomorrow with a fresher head.