Sunday, November 28, 2010

Recent Photos of Note - Early Morning + Twilight + Fireworks

Over the past few days, the days seem to have been getting longer - it's still kindof bright at 9pm, with some rather interesting light at this time. Here are some highlights from these shots...

The strange "greyish blandness" (Katherine Mansfield describes this kind of light quite well in one of her short stories IIRC) at twilight.


Abstract "suggestions" of light. These were simply OOF shots of the power guard on my laptop's power cable ;)
Some of the items damaged during the earthquake and subsequent aftershocks!

But a few nights earlier, there was also some very interesting moonlight coming through the curtains...
These shots don't really do the situation justice IMO, but they kindof show what I saw...

---

And in the morning, with some beautiful morning light streaming in...
"Memories"

---

Finally, there was a big public concert on tonight in the central park (Hagley Park), with fireworks. Although we didn't attend, we've found over the years that we can still see the fireworks displays from just outside our driveway (this used to be within our fence, but the trees nearby have grown a bit too big for that).  We've got a pretty good view of most of the bigger ones, straight down the road in the middle of a "basin" formed by some trees.

Unfortunately, in the rush to go out and watch this, I forgot to bring my camera along and try to catch some fireworks shots after reading about the methodology for so long. Well, I didn't really have it set up yet to do that at that point either, so maybe that wasn't such a bad thing.

Fortunately, I didn't have to wait too long for another little display to rectify this! The neighbours, perhaps high on a few beers, decided to let off a little fireworks display of their own shortly afterwards...

My first ever attempt at shooting fireworks (this is quite literally my first ever shot). Seems I got lucky on this shot.
This one looks a bit like lightning instead! As I was taking it, I think I recall seeing a bright glow just above frame top. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment